Strathcona County is a pawesome place for your furry friends! You'll find many large off-leash dog areas throughout Sherwood Park and Ardrossan that include features like enclosed spaces for smaller dogs, large fenced areas and seasonally available boarded rinks.
Below you'll find locations and information to help keep you and your dog safe while enjoying our outdoor spaces.
On this page
Where can I take my dog on a leash?
Dogs are allowed in most parks with the requirements of the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw being met.
Where can't I take my dog?
Dogs are not permitted in the following areas
- playgrounds (sand, or any base, beneath playground equipment)
- tennis courts
- spray decks
- floral gardens
- the Strathcona Wilderness Centre
- artificial turf sports fields
Year-round off-leash areas
Deermound off-leash Park
23031 Twp Rd 522 (Google Maps link)
The parking lot is located on the south side of the road.
Deermound was the name of a post office established in the Hillsdale area in 1911 and also for a stopping place along the old Edmonton Trail. Now, over 100 years later, County Council gave the name Deermound to the popular dog park.
Deermound Off-Leash Park is not fully fenced. There is fencing around the access area from the parking lot, but the outer perimeter is not fully enclosed.
Small dog area (fenced)
Please enjoy this area if your dog is:
- Less than 30 pounds
- A less active, senior dog
- More comfortable around small dogs
Use of this area is at the owner’s discretion. All other off-leash rules apply.
Ardrossan Regional Park off-leash area
80-1 Avenue, Ardrossan
Located behind the Ardrossan Recreation Complex, this off-leash park offers dog owners a fully-enclosed, fenced area and is part of the Ardrossan Regional Park.
Sally Stewart Park off-leash area
Broadview Drive, Sherwood Park
Sally Stewart Park is named after the first woman elected to Strathcona County Council in 1965. In 2013, Council approved the motion to name the regional park after her. The off-leash area within Sally Stewart Park is fully-fenced and opened on November 16, 2018.
Heritage Hills off-leash area
260 Heritage Drive, Sherwood Park
A fully-enclosed fenced area on the south side of Heritage Drive.
Cottonwood Park off-leash area
290 Fir Street, Sherwood Park
A fully-enclosed area with temporary fencing in Sherwood Heights.
Seasonal off-leash areas
Enjoy our seasonal neighbourhood off-leash locations:
From November 1 to April 1
- Centennial Park Diamond #1 (4000 Sherwood Drive)
- Emerald Hills Diamond #1 (4501 Emerald Drive)
- Emerald Hills Diamond #2 - small dogs only (4501 Emerald Drive)
- Strathcona Athletic Park - behind fields F and G (1100 Clover Bar Road)
From May 1 to October 1
- Mills Haven Boarded Rink (73 Main Boulevard)
- Brentwood Boarded Rink (28 Heron Road)
- McGhan Park Boarded Rink (441 Meadowview Court)
- Kinsmen/Westboro Boarded Rink (1011 Strathcona Drive)
- Sherwood Heights Boarded Rink (50 Spruce Avenue)
- Safety for all – Have control of your dog at all times.
- Leash up – Dogs must be on a leash in the parking lot.
- Be present – Know what your dog is doing at all times.
Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw
Learn more about your responsibility as a dog owner. Get the electronic version of the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw or call Bylaw Services at 780-449-0170.
Popular pages Permanent link to popular-pages
Ask a question, provide feedback or report an issue.